Asteroid Day, the official United Nations’ day of global awareness and education about asteroids, will celebrate its eighth anniversary on 30 June 2022. What began as two live stream broadcasts in 2014, now includes thousands of independent events organized by institutions around the world on all five continents.
Asteroid Day was co-founded by astrophysicist and famed musician Dr. Brian May of the rock group QUEEN; Apollo 9 Astronaut Rusty Schweickart; Filmmaker Grig Richters; and B612 President Danica Remy, to promote awareness and provide knowledge to the general public about the importance of asteroids in the formation of our universe and the role they play in our solar system today. Events are scheduled during the week of June 30th, the date of the largest asteroid strike on Earth recorded to date, known as the “Tunguska event”.
General information about the International Asteroid Day: https://asteroidday.org/
Asteroid Day at NHM Vienna, 2022
Thursday, 30 June 2022
9:15–10:45 a.m. and 10:45 a.m.–12:15 p.m.:
„Meteorites under the microscope“ – Workshop for kids
Interactive learning with meteorite experts: What are meteorites? How to identify them and which tools are required? Where do they come from? What do we learn from them?
If you think that you have found a meteorite, be sure to take your stone(s) along with you for identification by the museum‘s experts!
Julia Walter-Roszjár & Ludovic Ferrière (both NHMV) & Christian Vollmer (WWU Münster, Germany)
For pupils, 3. - 7. grade
Costs: entry and workshop for school classes is free, 2 companions per school class free.
Registration required: , 01/52177-335
Workshop in German, English and French possible.
9:15, 10:15, 11:15 a.m.
Special Liveshow for kids – „Von Sternenstaub, Kometen und Asteroiden“
- For school classes, 3. - 7. grade
- Costs: entry and liveshow for school classes is free, 2 companions per school class free.
- Registration required: firstname.lastname@example.org, 01/52177-335
1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00 p.m. Start every full hour
- Tickets: 5,– €, valid Museum entry ticket required*| under 19 years 3,– €
- Tickets at the Info desk in the entrance hall and online here...
Begrüßung zum 8. Internationalen Asteroid Day am NHM Wien
Katrin Vohland (NHM Vienna, Director General, in German)
„Minerale gibt es nicht nur auf der Erde - Auftakt zum Internationalen Jahr der Mineralogie“
Vera M. F. Hammer (NHM Vienna, president of the Austrian Mineralogical Society, in German)
Der Internationale Asteroid Day & „Weltraum-Mineralogie – ein Überblick“
Julia Walter-Roszjár (NHM Vienna, in German)
„Sternenstaub in Meteoriten auf der Nanoskala”
Christian Vollmer (WWU Münster, Germany, in German)
„Minerals as storytellers of the cosmic billiard”
Ludovic Ferrière (NHM Vienna, in English)
- (Program free, valid Museum entry ticket required*, talks are in German and English)
4:15 p.m.: Special guided tour Hall I,
„Evolution der Minerale – von der Entstehung des Sonnensystems bis heute“
Uwe Kolitsch (NHMV, in German)
- Costs: 5,- €, valid Museum entry ticket required*, meeting point: main entrance
*Free entry to the Natural History Museum Vienna on the International Asteroid Day for selected societies/associations:
With valid membership pass or payment receipt of the membership 2022 only, to be presented at the visitor checkout, main entrance of the NHM Vienna.
This offer is valid only on 30 June 2022 and for the following societies/associations:
- Freunde des Naturhistorischen Museums Wien
- ÖMG (Österreichische Mineralogische Gesellschaft)
- MetSoc (The Meteoritical Society)
- ÖGG (Österreichische Geologische Gesellschaft)
- AGS (Österreichische Geophysikalische Gesellschaft)
- ÖPG (Österreichische Paläontologische Gesellschaft)
- Geochemical society
- ÖGAA (Österreichische Gesellschaft für Astronomie und Astrophysik)
- ÖAV (Österreichischer Astronomischer Verein)
- WAA (Wiener Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Astronomie)